Teak wood known as king of timber belongs to the family Verbenaceae. Its scientific name is Tectona grandis. It grows as a huge tree and yields excellent quality wood. Therefore teak wood has higher demand in national as well as International markets.
Articles made of teak wood have high durability/quality and hence with the increased consumption of teak in household and office interiors, teak has become an indispensable part of people lives all over the world. Normally superior teak plants are grown on commercial scale, it is possible to earn good profits with low risk.
||18 inch (46 cm)
||5 inch (13 cm)
*above specification are indicative only. actual dimensions may vary by +-10%
||Verbenaceae, Tectona grandis, Malabar teak, South and Central American teak, West African teak, Adilabad teak, Godhavari teak, Konni teak
||Easy to grow
Planting And Care
- Teak prefers moist, warm tropical climate.
- It can withstand extremes of temperature, but maximum & minimum shade temperatures of 39 to 44 C and 13 to 17 C respectively are the most favourable for its growth.
- It grows well in rainfall zone of 1200-2500 mm.Teak has been classified as a pioneer species.
- Hence, it requires a high light intensity for its growth and development.
- Apart from rainfall and moisture, soil and light intensity, other factors such as temperature and elevation also play important roles in limiting the distribution and growth pattern of the species.
- Dig pits of 45 cm x 45 cm x 45 cm sizes. Refill the soil after seasoning and mixing with any organic fertilizer.
- On poor gravely sites, replace the pit soil by good soil with good organic matter.
- Apply 100 g of organic fertiliser in pit at the time of planting and thereafter in split doses or as per the fertility status of soil.
- Best planting season for Teak wood farming is monsoon; preferably after the first shower.
- Carry out soil working periodically for better growth of plants. One working in the Ist year and two workings in 2nd and 3rd year may be adequate.
- Firm up the soil after planting and apply irrigation/water supply wherever necessary.
- Debudding in the initial years may be done to improve the quality of timber.
||Full sun, Partial sun
||Loamy soil, Sandy soil
||20 to 30 degrees C
||Apply any organic fertilizer
||When it comes to harvesting in Teak wood farming, there certain things to follow for approval of teak harvesting:
- Mark the trees to be cut and run serial number.
- Submit the report to the chief of the regional Forestry Office.
- Regional Forestry Office then sends an official to check the accuracy of the report by sampling.
- Send the report to the Local Forestry Department with an explanation why Thinning/Harvesting Operation needs to be done.
- Thinning/Harvesting operation starts after the permission has been granted