With this purchase you will get:
3 inch Grower Round Plastic Pot (Black)
Description for Senecio Serpens
Plant height: 0.5 - 0.8 inches
Plant spread: 2 - 4 inches
It is indigenous to southern Africa. It needs little water, and is thus one of the many plants suggested for cultivation.
Senecio serpens is a small, evergreen, succulent perennial, branching from the base and rooting along the stems, up to 8 inches (20 cm) tall and up to 40 inches (1 m) wide. The prostrate stems hold short, sub-cylindrical, powdery blue-grey to blue-green finger-like fleshy leaves. The small flowers are white in color.
Common name(s): Blue Chalksticks
Flower colours: White
Bloom time: Early July
Max reachable height: Up to 1 foot
Difficulty to grow: Easy to grow
Planting and care
- Senecio serpens is a small succulent that hugs the ground, branching from the base and rooting along the stems.
- This ground cover is one of the most valuable landscaping succulents. Forming a dense rippling mat of compact silver-blue leaves.
- Senecio serpens grow up to 30 cm tall, 60 cm in diameter.
- Blooms in Spring with fragrant spongy creamy yellow flowers.
- Great container or garden plant for full sun to partial shade.
- Senecio serpens is drought tolerant in the ground once established.
Sunlight: Full Sun to Partial Shade
Soil: Well-drained soil
Temperature: 70 degrees F
Fertilizer: Apply any organic fertilizer
Caring for Senecio Serpens
- Established plants are extremely drought tolerant. They do need some water, during the summer, but do not leave the soil wet for prolonged periods.
- Allow the soil to dry out between waterings in the winter, when they are somewhat dormant.
- Since they are growing in sandy soil, nutrients will need to be replenished.
- Fertilize annually, but lightly. Too much fertilizer will cause a lot of leggy growth.
- Taller varieties can get floppy.
- You can prune them back to where the stem is firm, in very early spring.
- You can even root the cuttings. Plants can be divided or repotted in early spring.
- If you are growing them in containers, they enjoy spending the summer outdoors.
Typical uses of Senecio Serpens
Special features: Senecio serpens is a small succulent that hugs the ground, branching from the base and rooting along the stems. This ground cover is one of the most valuable landscaping succulents. Forming a dense rippling mat of compact silver-blue leaves.
Culinary use: NA
Ornamental use: The plant is used for an ornamental purpose. The plant is used as a ground cover in arid areas. But mostly it is grown as a potted plant subject. It's chalk-blue foliage is attractive.